Thursday, June 21, 2007

Watch this show

There's nothing on TV this summer. But even if there were, I would still love "Top Chef," which airs Wednesday nights on Bravo. It's a cooking competition among professional chefs, and as a "foodie," I'm fascinated.

The best part about this season: I've actually been to one of the cheftestants' restaurants. Tre is the chef de cuisine at Abacus in Dallas, where a few years ago I had a delicious and incredibly expensive meal. I can't remember exactly what I ate, which is unusual for me, but every time Tre prepares a dish on "Top Chef" I think -- "Yeah, it looked something like that..."

The other best part about the show is host(ess?) Padma Lakshmi, an incredibly self-aware sexpot who speaks like a Valium junkie with a mouth full of marbles. She's mesmerizing though, and I'm not sure whether I love her or loathe her.

Oh, and on the first episode, Anthony Bourdain was a guest judge. I love Anthony Bourdain.

Please watch so we can discuss. It's on Wednesday nights at 9 p.m. on Bravo.

6 comments:

joanna said...

Denise, I love this show. Bryan and I watch it every week. Padma drives us nuts because she enunciates every word too damn well, but Tom is a hottie from above. Mmmm. Yummy.
We loved the first episode and while I missed last night's, I love Bravo because, like MTV, they'll have 15 reruns.

Unknown said...

OK, no one is allowed to give away ANYTHING. I haven't caught this week's rerun yet. Has anyone checked out Fox's knockoff, "Hell's Kitchen"? It's on Monday nights. Very intense but not as refined as Top Chef. I love Bravo, too!

Suzanne said...

Great to see you in the blogosphere, Denise! (Maybe eventually I will be tempted to crawl out from under my rock and try this thing again.) ;-)

I don't have cable, as you know, but I have caught an episode or two of "Hell's Kitchen." I'm kind of intrigued by that whole industry, after reading "Kitchen Confidential" for book club.

Unknown said...

Don't you think Chef Ramsey is super-hard on the chef wannabes? When they have to cook for the dinner crowd, his expletives fly left and right, and so do the bleeps!

joanna said...

I watched Top Chef's Wednesday show on Thursday -- this is why I can keep up with these shows.
But I loved Top Chef this week. It's certainly always interesting.

Brenda said...

I also love this show. I saw somewhere that Chef Ramsey was quoted as saying his best advice to the contestants was to "keep it simple." Huh? If keeping it simple was the key to winning I'd just throw down some fish sticks and Easy Mac and call it good.