Sunday, February 17, 2008

Happy birthday, Ames

Amy's birthday was on Saturday, so tonight, she, the kids and K-Ry came over for a little dinner and bday cake.


I made Tanya's tomato curry soup, which I never actually ate at her restaurant because I didn't know I liked curry. What a waste. That's some good soup.


The kids helped blow out the candles. Several times.


This isn't my best food photography ever, but I can't believe how tasty this was. I urge you to make it soon. Here's the recipe, which I picked up several years ago at a Tanya presentation at Tomato Day.

"THE" TOMATO CURRY

4 Tb butter
4 Tb flour
1 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 ripe tomatoes, diced (though tonight, I used three cans of diced, drained)
6 cups chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
2 Tb hot curry powder (found ours at Nirvana Dillons, but Spice Merchant has it, too)
salt and pepper to taste
juice of two lemons
Sugar to taste (Tanya says start with two. I used four.)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
cooked white rice, to serve

Heat the butter in a large pot. Add flour and stir till golden. Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion softens. Add the tomatoes and cook five minutes. Add the chicken stock, cream and curry powder. Whisk together and simmer 10 minutes until thickened. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar. Turn off heat and add cilantro. Serve with a spoonful of white rice.

1 comment:

Lori said...

can't wait to make this soup. looks wonderful. on the sugar, is that teaspoons? looks like your party was a hit.