Wednesday, January 30, 2008

So so so so so so mad

I know that most of my fancy suburban friends probably don't care, but I'm a very, very unhappy Dillon's customer right now.

Every store I ever use -- all the ones near the center of town -- are closing down, including the Dinky Dillons near my house, the one I use on the way to day care, and the one I use that's closest to downtown at 13th and Waco.

I love my neighborhood store because it's so close to my house and because it's so dinky, I can run in and out very quickly. It doesn't have a lot, but it has the basics. Now, I'll either have to shop in a yucky old Homeland store hastily "remodeled" into a Dillon's store, suck it up and go to Wal-Mart (no way), or gas it up and drive all the way over to Target.

The people I feel most sorry for, besides myself, are the liquor store owners in the vicinity who are now screwed as well as the poor people in the neighborhoods without cars, who counted on these stores being within walking distance of their houses.

I'm mad.

6 comments:

Katie Lohrenz said...

Heck yes. For all the reasons you list. The 13th and Waco Dillons is my closest Dillons and I love shopping there. I imagine that, like you're considering, a lot of the Midtown/Riverside/Delano residents are going to start shopping at far-away Wal-Marts and Targets now that there's nothing left in Midriverlano. If you've already got to go out of your way, might as well go to a superstore. I'm hoping that either another chain moves into one or more of the soon-to-be empty stores (most of which I suspect were reasonably profitable) or the Walgreens at 13th and Waco figures out a way to expand into a grocery store. I like my neighborhood and I want to support it, even if I'm giving my money to a chain. I'd hate to see that intersection shuttered up.

Jaime said...

Did your dinky Dillons get a face-lift? It looks different in that pic. I'll miss that place, too.

There is a store at 1227 S Hydraulic that's not too far from Lexi's school.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. No problems on the east side. What's up with that?

Denise said...

Opps, thanks for the tip, but THAT'S ANOTHER ONE THAT'S CLOSING!

Rockyn Robyn said...

Denise - I just bought a house at 21st & Amidon, and the Homeland there has been bought out by Dillons - thats where they're moving to. Its literally in my backyard. No joke. That might be a fairly close one for you - I've been going to the 13th St. you're talking about and I'm super bummed too!

Jaime said...

Oh. I guess you really are screwed. Sorry.