Saturday, March 22, 2008

Winter Park

Apologies for the prolonged absense of BBE. The blogger and the blogee just returned from a ski trip to Winter Park, Colo., which turned out to be a (dun Dun DUN!) INTERNET-FREE ZONE! The horrors.


Nick, Lexi, mom and I drove to Denver Tuesday, where we picked up my aunt Cathy and cousins Katie, 17, and Taylor Anne, 19, who'd flown in from Joplin. We all crammed into the van (a tight fit with seven people's worth of luggage and ski stuff) and drove the hour and a half to Winter Park.

Incidentally, I've finally decided on a name for my van. Van Williams. Live with it.


While the rest of us went skiing on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, Grammy stayed back at our condo with Lexi. I could not be more grateful to her for allowing me this time to ski uninterrupted, but she claimed to be happy to be doing it. Here they are on one of many snowball throwing outings.


It wasn't yellow.


Here's our condo -- Beaver Creek condominiums. Ours was a nice one. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, recently remodeled. We were in the unit on the far right, just above the snowbank.


I see a bad moon rising on Nick's forehead -- the result of forgotten sunscreen on our first day of sunny spring skiing. Look for it Monday.


It didn't say sunny the whole trip, but it did stay relatively warm, considering that Jaime, Nick and I are accustomed to sub-zero, crowd-free February skiing. I'll take the crowds. Here, Katie, Cathy and Taylor pose after holding up the lodge. Cathy wants this for their Christmas card.


Back at the ranch, more snowball throwing.


And snowman building.



We didn't have any carrots.



The next morning, Lexi took a brief break from Play-Doh to check on her snowman's well-being out the window.


A few notes about skiing. Both my cousins skied for the first time on Wednesday, and both picked it up immediately with very minimal instruction from me and Nick. But Katie, 17, is truly a natural skiier. By Friday, she was accompanying me on very ill-advised black runs, like the one pictured above. I'm still amazed we survived.


Can't wait until next year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! I wish I had the courage to try a black run. If it weren't for the moguls, the steep incline, the snowboarders racing down recklessly at top speeds ... Maybe next year.

I'm so glad everyone will return in one piece. (And one word for Nick: aloe.) See ya'll Monday!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jaime said...

Go figures. The one year I take off because I'm sick of the cold, it's like a sauna. Big, BIG sigh.

Lori said...

looks c-c-c-old to me. but glad you had fun. the photos are great, especially lexi in her snowboots!