Friday, August 17, 2007

Johnny C's

There's a pizza place near my sister's house that's so good, we have it every time we come. So good, we get it even though we had a big ole Cheesecake Factory lunch.


It's called Johnny C's, and it's on 75th street. The interior reminds me of a quintessential 1980s pizza parlor -- long tables, wicker-backed chairs, pool hall stained glass light fixtures, beer and pop by the pitcher, video games in the back. Mom got carryout tonight so we could have the pizza party we bribed Joe with this morning.


For years, I wondered what made this pizza so special. Then I realized: It's the cheese. Johnny C's uses this otherworldly American/Swiss/something else combo that melts like a dream and tastes just as good unmelted. And if you're nice, they'll sell it to you by the pound.

1 comment:

chitknit said...

We used to have our softball team pizza parties at Johnny C's when I was a wee one! Your sister SO lives in my 'hood.