Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Town & Country

For years, I've been curious about Town & Country, a legendary down-home cookin' restaurant on the west side that always has a jam-packed parking lot.

But until today, I'd never gone there. Why? Town & Country is notoriously ALL smoking. As in, they don't have a non-smoking section. And I just can't tolerate that.

This year, T&C is turning 50, and I'm doing a story on the restaurant to run later this month. Today, Jaime and I went there to get some pictures and interview some regulars (and there are a LOT of them.) It's actually a good little restaurant with a cool back story, and the longtime staff members are very nice and professional.

Jaime and I decided to stay for lunch, and amazingly, we didn't leave smelling like smoke. You notice it, for sure, but it's far from overwhelming.

What's not to love about a restaurant that puts this beauty on the table before the meal comes out?

Hey, I'd been waiting to try it for ten years, so I figured I'd better go for the speciality -- chicken fried steak. Jaime had the more sensible Chef's salad.

Dad -- whaddya say? Can you handle it?

4 comments:

Jaime said...

The T&C is the place to be. I can't wait to go with Senor DMN.

Anonymous said...

Their breakfast ain't half bad, either, Denise. I know what you mean about the smoke. I couldn't ever take the kids there, but stopped in one morning while they were both in school. Great service and nice people.

Lori said...

I'm salivating looking at that chicken fried steak. I'm in for lunch soon.

Lori said...

It looks surprisingly yummy. T&C, here I come!