Tuesday, August 7, 2007

No hotdogs, but still good

Our National Night Out party was a smashing success. I was a little nervous at first when Lexi and I were holding down the fort alone as the firemen scheduled to visit our party circled the block several times, wondering where the heck everyone was.


But then they started trickling in. Jane from across the street was first. Then Ed from down the block. Then Bert (of Michael and Bert fame) showed up. Then the fuzz -- including two firemen and our two "beat cops." They were just the first wave, too. Later, two more cops and three more firemen -- driving one of the big firetrucks -- arrived. The neighbors were duly impressed. (Except for the few who worried we were under arrest. Or starting a fire.)


The root beer floats were a big hit -- too big. I ran out of ice cream before the 7:15 wave of neighbors showed up. Fortunately, I had enough for the fuzz.



At one point in the evening, I bet we had 25 people there, including some neighbors I had met and lots I hadn't. All were very grateful that I'd put the party together and several suggested we should do it more often.



Lexi seemed totally floored to learn that there were actually kids her age in her own neighborhood. One group of boys from down the street (including another 2-year-old!) brought their wagon, and Lexi literally wore herself out. Girl was BEGGIN to go to bed.



I'm really glad I decided to put this party together. Thanks to Chris and Charla for the inspiration.

5 comments:

Lori said...

I love Lexi's little nametag on the bottom of her shirt. Looks like it was a great party. Too bad you weren't celebrating a summer of no 100-degree days!

Travis said...

There's no such thing as a boring party thrown by Denise. I must say though... this is the first one I've heard about where the cops showed up. Way to go!

Lori said...

Great photos. This is very inspiring. Next year, I'm resolved to hold our own watch party. Just hope it's as successful as yours.

Amy D. said...

How very domestic and neighborly of you! I'm with Lori, you've inspired me to make nice with the people in my neighborhood. Do you think people would think we're strange if we didn't wait until next year?

Jennifer Lacy said...

Wow - that is great. Wish we would have done that. Maybe in our new 'hood.